Australia’s Test tour of South Africa has been postponed due to health concerns, Cricket Australia confirmed on Tuesday (2).
The Australian Test side was scheduled to travel to South Africa later this month for a three-match test series, with a 19-member squad announced last week.
“Today we informed Cricket South Africa that we believe we have no choice but to postpone the forthcoming Qantas Tour of South Africa due to the coronavirus pandemic.” Cricket Australia said in an official release.
“Due to the public health situation in South Africa, which includes a second wave and new variant of the virus, and following extensive due diligence with medical experts, it has become clear that travelling from Australia to South Africa at this current time poses an unacceptable level of health and safety risk to our players, support staff and the community.” Cricket Australia interim chief executive Nick Hockley said.
But Sri Lanka just completed a two-Test tour to South Africa where the hosts beat the lions 2-0 that ended earlier last month.
The announcement comes as a significant blow to Australia’s chances of qualifying for the inaugural World Test Championship Final.
If Australia don’t get a shot at playing South Africa in the inaugural cycle of the World Test Championship, New Zealand will secure their spot in the final.